Sunday, August 24, 2008

Better; Better; Best!

First off, I am feeling better just have a bit of a cough...




Yesterday the KTK Yarn Mavens took a road trip to Springville, CA (just a bit north of Bakersfield) to Dulitz Tree Farm. During the winter Carole and her husband operate a Christmas Tree Farm and Gift Shop. But during the summer Carole has a wonderful yarn shop.




I was trying to be very good with the finances but when one is surrounded by so many great fibers it really is hard. I came away with a red bag overfilled with goodies.




There were 14 ladies who gathered from Bakersfield, Hanford, Porterville and I think Lemoore including Carole. Carole was a wonderful hostess providing refreshments. We went through the shop, made purchases and then sat under the trees. Those who brought finished items shared and let me tell you there were plenty of great items...puts mine to shame...I came away with some ideas though....thanks ladies. We knit and chatted and knit some more.



My purchaes:

Some wonderful hand dyed sock yarn...enough for two pairs of socks although today my daughter saw it and "I'd love a scarf" so we'll see...maybe a scarf and socks...






A kit of Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece and beads to make a beautiful scarf...



Another kit of various red fibers that I just couldn't resist...this will make a Luscious Throw...



I also picked up some Unger cotton which will make a great Market Bag and enough Schaffhauser wool/alpaca that hasn't talked to me yet...so we'll see what that ends up as...




Last night my daughter called to say that she was making a trip to Trona...would I like to tag along...well if you know me well enough you know I'm always up for a road trip...so at 3:00 a.m. I'm up getting ready to meet her at 4:30...



We saw the sun come up








As I understand it the movies "Planet of the Apes"; and "Star Trek V: The Final Frontier" were shot in the area of the Trona Pinnacles.



Upon entering the town we saw piles of lime dust...; evidently the town was set up as a self contained company town...if you want to know check out the Wikipedia page on Trona, CA...I found it to be a bit interesting although during our drive this morning we thought we were out in the middle of the desert...guess we were...

No comments: